Smile!

Friday, May 02, 2008

Habemus Boris


The 1st of May London elected its Mayor, the Conservative Boris Johnson, editor of The Spectator (and occasionally BBC presenter), ending Ken Livingstone's eight-year reign at City Hall.
I went to vote in my old borough and it was funny. As an Italian it was weird not to see policemen at the polling station, situated in a council estate and not in a school. Very young staff, no queue (even at peak time), no identity check, no privacy when casting the vote. Very funny indeed, it seems like I was voting for the school rep when I was 13!
The campaign was also different compared to Italian election, no advertising for the candidate in the streets. Candidate have a limit spending including their personal expenses to campaign (i.e. travel).

Now London has changed like Rome.
My new constituency voted Boris for the 55%, Ken for 29%, Paddick for 8.40% e Green candidate for 3.30%.
My old constituency (where I voted) went for 49.50% for Ken, 29.50% for Boris, 10% for Paddick and 5% for Green.

Hopefully transportation would improve, street will be cleaner and crime beaten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home